During the current Covid19 outbreak, most of us are experiencing a range of emotions. This might include anxiety, fear or loneliness. All of these are normal and natural responses to challenging situations.
Right now, Covid19 means we’re all having to make decisions about things we never considered before. We’re also having to live in a way we never thought we would. Not only that, but we’re doing so in an environment which is changing day by day (and sometimes even from hour to hour).
In unsettling times like this, many of us can find it difficult to feel calm, relaxed and contented.
Our usual suggestion in times of stress would be to treat yourself to a luxury weekend away at Alkina Lodge, where you can relax and indulge yourself in our beautiful surroundings.
But sadly, during the Covid19 outbreak, luxury travel is currently not a possibility. We need to find other ways to look after ourselves. Here are a few ideas.
- Research suggests that there is a very strong correlation between gratitude and happiness. If you practice gratitude every day, you’ll be more likely to experience positive emotions more frequently. Try keeping a gratitude journal, and add to it every day.
- Put a priority on your relationships. They’re what make us human. We might not be able to see all of our family and friends at the moment, but technology such as FaceTime, Zoom and other video platforms allow us to keep in contact with each other. Schedule some online or phone time with someone important to you, every day.
- When we stay at home it can be very easy to lose track of the hours and the days. While this can be a very indulgent and enjoyable thing to do when you’re on holiday, it’s not a good idea in the longer term. Keep a structure and keep to a routine.
- Exercise and get outdoors. Your gym might not be open but there are so many online exercise videos to try out. Remember, low levels of Vitamin D are linked to depression, so try to get out for a walk in your local neighbourhood every day for a healthy dose of Vitamin D.
- Try to appreciate the slowdown. It might not always feel like it but if you look carefully, you might just find that you don’t need to go very far to appreciate the beauty of the world around us. Feel the sun on your skin. Breathe in the fresh air. Stroke the soft fur of your pet. Indulge in a good book.
- Finally, take advantage of all the virtual travel opportunities out there at the moment. Explore.org is a great website to explore the world’s wildlife and nature, and our own blog is full of travel inspiration about the Great Ocean Road. The situation with Covid-19 shouldn’t mean that we can’t still enjoy our beautiful planet. Now might be the time to start writing up your travel bucket list.
One thing’s certain: it’s very difficult to predict – or control – how this situation will develop and how or when it will end. What you can do is look after yourself and the people around you. And when all of this is over, we hope to welcome you back to Alkina Lodge and be a part of your fantastic holiday memories.