It might be your wedding anniversary or a big birthday celebration soon. Maybe you’re looking for somewhere special to pop the question. Or you might just be looking for somewhere luxurious to spend quality time with your family. Whatever the reason, Alkina Lodge is the ultimate place to relax and indulge yourselves on a luxury break.
Our three luxury lodges were designed by award-winning Australian architect Glenn Murcutt and his partner Wendy Lewin. They are fitted out with fine European furniture, a designer Gaggenau kitchen, Bose entertainment systems and a bespoke wooden fireplace .
We are situated on over 100 acres of peaceful bushland on the Great Ocean Road, surrounded by native wildlife. This means we’re close enough to Melbourne to make it an easy weekend away, but our unique location makes it an extra special luxury break.
Each of our three luxury lodges has four bedrooms and two bathrooms. This makes them the perfect set-up for extended family or a group of friends.
In the summer, the lodges are cooled by the ocean breeze and Dyson bladeless fans. For the winter we have under floor heating in the bathrooms, and of course our famous fireplace – the perfect spot to enjoy a good bottle of red wine with your travel companions!
Below is a suggested itinerary to help plan your luxury break:
- Arrive at Alkina Lodge. Our managers Cindy and Jordan will greet you, show you around and help you settle in.
- No trip to the Great Ocean Road is complete without visiting the famous 12 Apostles, and a visit here will be a very special way to begin your luxury break. Sunset is one of the best times to visit. There are usually fewer people around, the colour of the sky is often spectacular, and if you’re lucky you’ll see the little penguins who return ashore at this time of day. The 12 Apostles are easy to get to, at just 20 minutes drive from Alkina Lodge.
- For your evening meal, you might like to pre-order a gourmet barbeque hamper from us. It will include local produce such as brie, chutney, seasonal greens, spice mix and Porterhouse steaks which you can enjoy cooking up on our Weber barbeque.
- Later on, if it’s a clear night you simply must go outside the lodge, for some stargazing. We are lucky enough to regularly get incredible views of the Milky Way here at Alkina Lodge. If you’d like to use our complimentary telescope please let us know in advance so we can arrange this for you.
- From the master bedroom you will wake up to stunning ocean views. Don’t forget to look outside as soon as you wake up – there are usually kangaroos feeding around the lodges in the early morning.
- Today we recommend you put on your walking shoes and enjoy some of the spectacular walking tracks in the local area. There are walking trails to suit all tastes and abilities close to Alkina Lodge. Click here to read more.
- After exploring the region this morning, we suggest you head to the nearby Otway Ranges and try out some of the amazing cafes and restaurants. Click here to read about some of our favourites. You also might like to stop in at some of the local craft breweries and wineries to sample some of their delicious products.
- While you’re out, don’t forget to pick up some local treats to take back to the lodge for your evening meal tonight! Our Gaggenau equipped kitchen is a great place to cook your evening meal while you chat about your day.
- You can never have too much stargazing, and our magnificent Villeroy & Boch bathtub is the perfect way to round your day off! It has been described by a guest as the “god of bathtubs” and affords magnificent views of the night sky. This is what luxury breaks are all about!
- Luxury breaks are all about sleeping in so you don’t need to get up until you want to! But if you find yourself awake early we suggest you put on the Nespresso machine and find somewhere to sit outside and enjoy your coffee while you watch kangaroos feeding around the lodge.
- This morning, take the short trip to Wreck Beach. There’s a steep walk down from the carpark, with 366 steps – but it’s worth the effort! You’ll be able to see the anchors of the famous shipwrecks Marie Gabrielle and the Fiji here, and spend some time just strolling or sitting while you take in the beauty of this wild coastline. (Tip: remember to make sure you check on the tide times before you set off, as access to Wreck Beach can be limited at high tide).
- Round off your luxury break in style! Brae is situated roughly half way between Alkina Lodge and Melbourne, making it the perfect lunch stop. It’s contemporary and upmarket, and set on 30 acres of organic farmland. Brae has been ranked as the 44th Best Restaurant in the world (the highest rank of any restaurant in Australia) so we’re sure you’ll enjoy a meal here.
There are so many other things to see and do while you stay at Alkina Lodge, so if you’d like any other ideas for your luxury break please contact us.
So what are you waiting for?! Click here to check our availability calendar and make a booking. Then get packing! Bring a good book. Bring your favourite bottle of wine, or even some bubbles. But most importantly bring your sense of sophistication and indulgence, and prepare to relax…!
The Great Ocean Road is located in Victoria and stretches for 243 kms, starting at Torquay and ending near Warrnambool. How to get there depends on which part of the Great Ocean Road you’d like to visit. However, the most famous sights such as the 12 Apostles and Port Campbell National Park are located 275 kms west of Melbourne, approximately a 4 hour drive along the Great Ocean Road.
Where To Stay
Luxury accommodation is available at Alkina Lodge (+61 3 8899 7426 ; alkinalodge.com.au ), an architecturally designed lodge set in over 100 acres of native bushland. The lodge is about 15 minutes drive from the 12 Apostles. Prices start from $297.50 per person per night (based on twin share occupancy and excluding flights).